Blazier, Christensen, Browder & Virr, P.C.

Avoiding probate for your home

Your house is important for you and your spouse. It is likely the largest asset you own. When you pass away, you want to make sure that your spouse doesn't have to go through probate court just to keep your family home.

Texas law can make avoiding probate difficult. If you die, your spouse doesn't automatically get your assets. So how can you prevent your home going through probate?

Signing a survivorship agreement

One way you can prevent probate is to sign a survivorship agreement. A community property survivorship agreement states that you and your spouse both have rights to survivorship. If one of you passes the way, the other takes possession of the house without having to go through probate. This is one way you can put survivorship rights in writing.

Creating a living trust

You can also create a living trust to avoid probate. With a living trust, you can have the trust take ownership of your home while you remain the trustee, the person who manages the trust. When you create the trust, you list who gets the contents of the trust once you pass away.

Since a trust is a separate entity, probate courts do not consider anything in the trust as your assets. This can make sure your home transfers to your spouse without going through probate.

Making an easier transition

When you pass away, you don't want your spouse to have to fight for your shared home. Probate court can be a long and difficult process, especially if someone tries to challenge your will. Planning ahead can make sure your spouse doesn't have to deal with the complications of probate.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Austin Bar Association
  • ABA Defending Liberty Pursuing Justice
  • State Bar of Texas
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Barton Oaks Plaza
901 S. Mopac
Building V, Suite 200
Austin, Texas 78746

Phone: 512-476-2622
Fax: 512-476-8685
Austin Law Office Map

One Far West
3410 Far West Blvd.
Suite 385
Austin, TX 78731

Phone: 512-476-2622
Fax: 512-476-8685
Austin Law Office Map

Phone number

Fax number