As a director at Blazier, Christensen, Bigelow & Virr, P.C., Tom Virr advises both individuals and small businesses on tax planning, tax controversy, estate planning and probate matters. Mr. Virr’s previous experience as an Estate Tax Attorney, District Conferee and Appeals Officer for the Internal Revenue Service, as well as his years in private practice, lend a particular depth and insight to his work with the Firm’s clients. He has also assisted in the formation and operation of numerous charitable entities.
Mr. Virr was born in Topeka, Kansas. He received his B.A. degree from the University of Texas 1967. Following graduation, he entered in the U.S. Navy, was commissioned as an officer, and served aboard the U.S.S. Washburn, LKA108 for three years, including two deployments to Vietnam. He was awarded the Navy Achievement Medal with combat distinguishing device for his service.
Mr. Virr returned to the University of Texas at Austin to obtain his J. D. in 1972, and was admitted to the Texas state bar in 1973. He is Board Certified in Tax Law, by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He is an active member of the Austin Bar Association, and is licensed to appear before the U.S. Tax Court, and the U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas.
Mr. Virr is a charter member of Triumphant Love Lutheran Church, founded in Austin in 1977. He has served that congregation in a number of capacities over the years, including assisting in the creation of an Endowment Fund for the congregation.
Pursuing a life-long interest in agriculture, Mr. Virr currently operates a cattle ranch in Lampasas County. He enjoys sharing the rural lifestyle with both grandchildren and with friends.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified Tax Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Texas, 1973
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 1985
- U.S. Federal Court
- U.S. Tax Court, 1984
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. - 1972
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas
- B.A. - 1967
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Travis County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Internal Revenue Service, Attorney, 00/1973 to 00/1977
- Internal Revenue Service, District Conferee, 00/1977 to 00/1978
- Internal Revenue Service, Appeals Officer, 00/1978 to 00/1984