Do you need a permit to build a shed on your property?

If you’ve decided that a shed is the perfect addition to your existing property in Texas, you likely want to purchase the materials and get the construction underway. Unfortunately, it’s not that simple. You may need to apply for a building permit with your local Austin code office.

Why do you need a permit?

Local laws determine whether you need a permit to begin construction. You will likely need a permit to build your shed if it falls into one or more of the following categories:

  • Is over 200 square feet
  • Has plumbing
  • Is over 15 feet tall
  • Is attached to your home
  • Is built on a floodplain
  • Is more than one story high

It may be frustrating at first to learn that you need to obtain a building permit before you can have a shed installed. However, the permitting process is established to ensure that all new buildings constructed on a property are safe for the property owners, their guests and their neighbors. In addition, the permitting process will allow you to define your shed construction specifications so that you can have them all planned out before the construction phase starts.

Setbacks and easements

Before you can construct a shed or have a prefabricated one delivered, you need to have a designated spot on your property where it’s going to go. A setback is a specified space between your property line and the area in which a new building may be constructed. Setbacks vary depending on the specific type of zoning that your property has.

An easement is a determined space on your property that can be used by the government or a specified neighbor. You may not construct a shed in the area of an easement or a setback. It’s vital to figure out if your property has an easement or not and what the setbacks are.

If you’re thinking about installing a shed at your property, you need to figure out if you need a permit first. You don’t want to install the shed and have to remove it due to the lack of a proper permit or not following setback or easement guidelines. If you’re a little fuzzy on construction law in your area, then be sure to consult a licensed construction law attorney to get the help that you need.